Sunday, October 17, 2010

"I'm Batman"


So lately I’ve been using pastels for illustrations/studies at work. It’s a little easier clean-up for me and I get less concerned looks from management that something might spill like oils. They’ve actually helped my oil painting in many ways for a couple reasons: First, laying down shapes in place of being nit-picky with a little brush. You have these inch long pastel pieces w/o a sharpened tip and it becomes necessary to choose your battles. Second, with pastel you can over exaggerate your color and it still fits. I love that about pastels! And third, I love mixing, but with oils it’s easy to get in the habit of mushing your paints on the canvas and not being confident with the color and stroke. With pastels it becomes harder to lay color on color on color. So I’ll choose my shape and color from the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment